To You, 10 Years in the Past,

Game: A Space for the Unbound


Hey there, ol' pal. It's me. I hope you're doing just fine.

If I remember correctly, you should be about three months into your first relationship, right? Congrats on that! It's not gonna be easy and I won't spoil the ending, but you should take good care of her. Forget about your pride and really, really let her know how much she means to you.

I'm writing this letter mainly to ask you some things. I know right, a little concerning how a future version of you is consulting you. But, well, hate to be the bearer of bad news, it's not going well for us. And I feel like you would be able to help me in some ways.

Listen, I don't even know where to begin. I guess I'll just get straight to the point.

I am 25. Yes, you are 25. Can you believe it? You'll live to see a quarter of a century. And it so happens that in the year that our brain is supposedly fully developed, God has ramped up his shit-throwing in both intensity and frequency. And lemme tell ya, I am not handling it well at all.

You have a thick skin. Nothing gets through you, no words, no actions, nothing. Unfortunately, unlike the literal human skin, this metaphorical skin does not turn into calluses the more you expose it to harsh conditions. It does not grow to become harder or thicker, nor does it numb the pain. If anything, it does the exact opposite. Our skin has grown softer, more permeable, more sensitive. I know, I hate it just as much as you do, but it's true. Which is why I'm asking you this.

I envy you. How do you stay strong in the face of all those adversities? How do you stand your ground, seemingly without fear, and hold your head high? How do you steel your heart to such a degree that nothing and no one could shake you?

I want to be like you again. The boy who does not let anyone or anything get in his way. The boy who can shake things off in a snap of a finger. The boy who does not overthink, who laughs at his own misfortunes. 

I know. I hate to tell you, but I am weak. We are weak. Though you shouldn't worry, for I am making my way back to our old ways. I am trying my utter best to steel my heart through all that I'm facing. I am trying to grow that skin of titanium you possess, and I'm learning to once again see the humor in my frequent misfortunes. 

Guess what? We still play basketball regularly in the year of our lord 2023. It's still the best therapy we have. And yes, don't you worry, we still hold tightly to our principles. The promise we made to ourself. On that part, we can be proud of. Oh, and hey, things will not be easy in that regard, holding on to our promise. You will question yourself, more than you'd think. People will pressure you into changing your ways, but you will not be budged. Do not be ashamed of your principles, of your ideals. Hold on to it. That is your truth, our truth.

Cross my heart and hope to die, I will not let you down. I will not let the flame of our ambitions be put out so easily. We'll make a name for ourself.

It's getting a bit late. I'm rambling. Borderline delirious. This past few weeks had been insane, dude. I've lost 5kg in the past month alone. But hey, we'll live. I'll live. Don't worry, we'll see the ending to our story yet.

From you, 10 years in the future,
-R

Comments

Popular Posts